About the exhibit
The Museum of the Red River opened in 1975 with a focus on regional archaeology. It supported local field research, often in collaboration with the Oklahoma Archeological Survey and the U.S. Forest Service. However, it also collected complementary material for educational purposes. In the 1980s, it ceased all field operations and returned any materials recovered under government contract to the appropriate agencies. It expanded its collecting interest to include art from the Americas, Africa, Asia and Pacific Islands.
Today, the Museum is home to over 30,000 objects. Nearly 80% were received as generous donations from private collectors. The Museum also use designated purchase funds to buy appropriate works as they become available. The remaining items are acquired from other institutions.
As the largest facility in the region, the Museum has a responsibility to provide broad, aesthetic experiences to its audience. Its diverse collection allows it to draw comparisons across a range of cultures and highlight unique artistic traditions. Moreover, a diverse collection enables the Museum to offer a range of innovate and dynamic programming to the public.
New additions to the collection are featured in the Museum’s yearly exhibit, Recent Acquisitions. Other pieces are highlighted in a dedicated space in the Lifeways Gallery. The space is dedicated to Dr. Richard and Nancy Weiss, two long-term donors to the collections.
Selections from the exhibit are available below.
Masked Dancer Figure, 20th century. Tilcajete, Oaxaca (Mexico). Gift of Sally Gettys.
Buddhist Deity, ca. 5th century, AD. Northern Jin Dynasty (China). Gift of Michael Cutchall.
End of Times, 1985 by Joyce Lee “Doc” Tate Nevaquaya. (Comanche, 1932 – 1996). Gift of Peter and Ginny Carl. 27” H x 23” W.
Bowl, ca. 900 – 1200. Anasazi Culture (Southwest United States). Gift of R. Weiss.
Untitled painting, ca. 1930 – 1940 by Acee Blue Eagle (Creek/Pawnee, 1909 to 1959). Museum Purchase.
Sculpture and tea-cup, ca. 1970 by Toshiko Takaezu (Japanese/Hawaiian-American, 1922 – 2011). Gift of Ron and Lynne Wetherell. 3.5” by 3.75’ W; 4.5” H x 4.75” W.