The Museum is accepting applications for the following position: Head of Communications and Outreach. The ideal candidate is a creative self-starter with strong communication skills. Related professional or academic experience is preferred.
The Head of Communications is in charge of planning the Museum’s marketing strategy and developing all promotional materials. He or she also manages the Museum’s Corporate Partnership and General Membership programs. Related responsibilities include planning donor events (6 to 8 annually), managing donor records, and preparing written solicitations.
- Developing a marketing strategy that promotes the Museum’s many and varied activities through a range of communications channels
- Maintaining brand consistency for all promotional materials and communications
- Ensuring that all media placements, event listing deadlines, and print deadlines are met
- Creating paid and unpaid content for the Museum’s social media accounts (Facebook and Instagram) and website
- Overseeing the creation of traditional marketing materials such as magazine ads, press releases, radio spots, and newsletters
- Analyzing market trends and recommending changes to marketing strategies
- Gathering and analyzing constituent (member, visitor, and attendee) information for the purpose of expanding the museum’s reach
- Driving traffic to the Museum’s website through good SEO/ SEM techniques and best practices
- Giving tours to VIPs and large school groups on an as-needed basis
- Speaking passionately and eloquently about the Museum and its mission to other organizations, members of the press, and donors
- Photographing Museum events on an as-needed basis
- Responding to online queries in a timely and professional manner
- Managing ad buys, while maintaining a balanced budget
- Maintaining strong working relations with the press and other crucial organizations; expanding the Museum’s relationships with key media outlets
- Sending out General Membership and Corporate Partnership solicitations and renewals on an as-needed basis
- Planning small-scale membership events (6 to 8 annually)
- Processing membership/corporate partnership applications
- Attending to the Conference Center during the evening on an as-needed basis (averaging 2 to 3 times/month)
Other responsibilities may be assigned based on the candidate’s proficiency. Some of the above tasks may be done by external contractors.
- A Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations or equivalent professional experience
- Familiarity with traditional and non-traditional marketing strategies
- Basic computer literacy; familiarity with social media
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated; possesses excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Strategic, long-term thinker
- Able to absorb and understand new, complex information on short notice
- Adept at multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment
- Can distill and disseminate complex information quickly and succinctly
- Enjoys being part of a team
- A BA or BS in marketing, communications, or a similar field AND 1 to 3 years of relevant professional experience
- Experience creating and executing digital marketing campaigns
- Previous experience working in a museum setting or similar environment
- Proficient with 5 of the following programs: Facebook Ad Manager, Google AdWords, WordPress, MailChimp, Microsoft Office, Photoshop, and InDesign
- Working knowledge of best photographic and graphic design practices
To apply, send a resume, cover letter, and written assessment to [email protected] You may also mail or drop your application off at the Museum. Please refer to the links below for more information. Incomplete or plagiarized applications will be not be considered.
This is an entry to mid-level, full-time position. Compensation is based on experience and education, with an estimated hourly rate of $18 – 20. Other benefits, such as health insurance, are available. Occasional weekend/evening work hours and out-of-town travel is required.
This is a multi-stage hiring process. Candidates may be asked to provide writing samples and a list of references at a later stage. The final candidates will be interviewed on-site. The position is open until filled.